A benefit for Nebraska health and health-related service licensees, certificate holders and registrants.
SPECIAL: Covid-19 Resources during Recovery
Nebraska Licensee Assistance Program
You or someone you know may be a Nebraska health service professional impacted by alcohol or substance use. If problematic use occurs and continues, professionals can find themselves in the cycle of addiction which will adversely affect their personal lives and jeopardize their professional careers.
The Nebraska Department of Administrative Services has contracted with Best Care Employee Assistance Program to provide Nebraska Licensee Assistance Program (NE LAP) services specifically for Nebraska health and health-related service licensees, certificate holders and registrants (credential holders). A variety of professional alcohol/substance use disorder assistance services are available for all credential holders regulated by the State of Nebraska Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health, Licensure Unit. These services include:
- Pre-License Alcohol/Substance Use Assessments (licensure applicants)
- Alcohol/Substance Use Diagnostic and Recovery Assessments
- Education, Counseling and Treatment Referral Assistance
- Case Management and Monitoring
- Alcohol/Substance Use Disorder Topics
- Monthly Email Newsblasts
- Quarterly Newsletters
- Web Site
A referral to the NE LAP is not the same as a report to the Nebraska Health and Human Services Division of Public Health. In some cases, individuals, employers and colleagues may be able to refer licensees to the NE LAP services without State involvement with licensure issues. Please see Nebraska’s Uniform Credentialing Act, specifically Neb. Rev. Stat. § 38-1,125 for exceptions to mandatory reporting.
Information made available to the NE LAP by the licensee can only be released with the licensee's written authorization, unless provision of information is required by state or federal law. A report does need to be made by the NE LAP to the State whenever it has been determined that a licensee’s continued practice would pose a danger to the public health and safety, or if the licensee fails to comply with his or her NE LAP treatment plan.
Eligibility for Services
The NE LAP's alcohol/substance use assessment, referral assistance and case management and monitoring services are available for credential holders regulated by the State of Nebraska. We can also provide these professionals, and those who live or work with them, consultations or educational programs.
Value of Services
- Resource for helping health service professionals overcome alcohol and substance use disorders
- Helps credential holders have a higher treatment success rate
- Increases public safety by monitoring treatment and aftercare compliance
- Assists with potential return to work issues
- Provides ongoing support to credential holders, their families and colleagues
- Provides immediate assistance if relapse occurs
- Provides alcohol and substance use information and education to credential holders, their colleagues and employers
For more information, a consultation, or to schedule an assessment or educational presentation, please contact the NE LAP at (402) 354-8055 or (800) 851-2336.